25 January 2016

The frosty side of cool

Yarns for Malvern Bath Mat by Moira Ravenscroft, Wyndlestraw Designs
Charles Dickens had it about right when he wrote about an old porter at the end of a long winter's day:
"Toby's nose was very red, and his eye‐lids were very red, and he winked very much, and his shoulders were very near his ears and his legs were very stiff, and altogether he was evidently a long way upon the frosty side of cool."
     The Chimes, 1844.
Oh yes, it's cold right now. Snow‐drifts, howling gales, sharp northerly winds – brrrr. We even had frosts down in Florida this morning. However, ever an optimist, I can see that the official start of Spring in less than 2 months away! It's hard to believe, isn't it? The months go by faster every year.

So I have been enjoying working with some cotton yarns in readiness and there are a number of projects on my needles right now in lovely soft cottons. I have just finished a few men's ties in KnitPicks Cotlin yarn, a crisp cotton/linen mix, and a bathmat in DMC Natura XL chunky cotton which is pictured at the top of this blogpost. I have to say the bathmat has already been pressed into service to keep my toes from contacting chilly tiled floors.

I also have some placemats started in Rowan Denim yarn and a little girls' dress planned too. I am certainly living up to my blogpost where I suggested starting several projects at once! My yarn drying racks are filled with cotton yarns in varying stages of washing and drying and I have a pleasingly large number of skeins waiting to be wound back into balls again.

I hope everyone is keeping warm, and finding enough projects to do in front of a cozy fire. I'll be back next time with news of a new tie pattern for men.

Until then – Happy Knitting!

Moira
Reversible Knitting Stitches by Moira Ravenscroft & Anna Ravenscroft, Wyndlestraw Designs
Last Blogpost: Without the Ocean
Next Up: New pattern – Okehampton Tie

Our book: Reversible Knitting Stitches
My Website: www.wyndlestrawdesigns.com

Many thanks to my husband Tim for the photo at the top of this post.
​Please look at his Flickr page to see more of his work.

Keywords: Notes & Travels,
cotton yarn, knitting, winter knitting, spring knitting,

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...