27 November 2016

Brrrr - that's a cold draught!

Rothay Draught Excluder by Moira Ravenscroft, Wyndlestraw Designs
I've written about my flat in Beckenham, Kent before. I don't think I've ever felt so cold and been inside at the time! It wasn't just that the floor was icy, the chairs felt damp and the window rattled with the bitter wind that blew incessantly. It was the draught that came under the door.

It whistled across the floor taking out every last degree of temperature the coin meter had just put in. I would sit down in the evening with my knitting and feel first cold, then colder, then frozen.
Rothay Draught Excluder by Moira Ravenscroft, Wyndlestraw Designs
It was at that point that I started knitting a draught excluder. My fingers worked stiffly to complete the item, but on the first evening after it was finished I felt warmer! It was remarkable that something so small could make such a big difference! My heating bills were much lower afterwards, too.

I have been wanting to make a new version of that one for some time, and when I felt the first cool draughts of winter creeping under the door in Massachusetts, I decided that the time had come. So here is the next suggestion for my "Winter Knits" blogpost series: make your very own draught excluder.

​The Rothay Draught Excluder shown here is quick and easy to knit, so you might be only a short time away away from making your world feel warmer!
Olive Stitch from Reversible Knitting Stitches, Wyndlestraw Designs
​The pattern features Olive Stitch, another stitch from our new Reversible Knitting Stitches bookThis is an easy stitch to work but the results look quite complex, with waving undulations running down the length of the fabric.
Inset & Flush Doors, diagram for Rothay Draught Excluder by Moira Ravenscroft, Wyndlestraw Designs
The Rothay Draught Excluder can be worked for both inset doors and flush doors so that every cold draught is kept at bay. Tailor one to fit your draughty door and you will be cozy in no time!

For see more details about the Rothay Draught Excluder pattern, please click here, and for more details about our Reversible Knitting Stitches book, please click here.

I'll be back next time with some more ideas in the Winter Knits series, and will be turning my attention towards Christmas knitting! Yes – Christmas is less than a month away and posting deadlines are coming up fast...

Until then – Happy Knitting!

Moira
Reversible Knitting Stitches by Moira Ravenscroft & Anna Ravenscroft, Wyndlestraw Designs

Last Time: A big thank you!
Winter Knits Introduction: What time is it?
​Next Up: 
Tick, tick, tick . . .

​​Our book: Reversible Knitting Stitches
My Website: www.wyndlestrawdesigns.com
Keywords: Series/Winter Knits, Patterns/Home Extras,
winter knitting, reversible stitches, reversible knitting, knitting stitches, reversible knitting stitches, draught excluder, draught stopper, wind stopper,

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...