27 Nov 2016

Brrrr - that's a cold draught!


I've written about my flat in Beckenham, Kent before. I don't think I've ever felt so cold and been inside at the time! It wasn't just that the floor was icy, the chairs felt damp and the window rattled with the bitter wind that blew incessantly. It was the draught that came under the door. 

It whistled across the floor taking out every last degree of temperature the coin meter had just put in. I would sit down in the evening with my knitting and feel first cold, then colder, then frozen.


It was at that point that I started knitting a draught excluder. My fingers worked stiffly to complete the item, but on the first evening after it was finished I felt warmer! It was remarkable that something so small could make such a big difference! My heating bills were much lower afterwards, too. 

I have been wanting to make a new version of that life-saver for some time, and when I felt the first cool draughts of winter creeping under the door in Massachusetts, I decided that the time had come. The pattern for the Rothay Draught Excluder is now available on my website, so please go and have a look at it there.

The draught excluder is worked in an Aran weight / Heavy Worsted yarn in Valley Yarns 'Amherst'. I love this yarn as it is so soft yet with a great stitch definition. The yarn is 100% merino wool and with a recommended gauge of 18 sts per 10cm/4ins using 5.0mm/US #8 needles. However, if you can't get that yarn, then you could use any other yarn with a similar gauge.


The pattern features Olive Stitch, another stitch from our new E-Book Reversible Knitting Stitches. This is an easy stitch to work but the results look quite complex, with waving undulations running down the length of the fabric.


The Rothay Draught Excluder can be worked for both inset doors and flush doors so that every cold draught is kept at bay. Tailor one to fit your draughty door and you will be cozy in no time!

For see more details about this new pattern, please visit my website.

Happy Knitting!

Moira




2 comments:

  1. I'm feeling the need for one of these too...a timely notification on twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed - it is amazing how a small item like this can make a big difference, isn't it.
    Moira

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...