20 Mar 2017

Is it a bird or is it a plane?


I'm back! Sorry that I have been away from my blog for so long. I needed a small operation which kept me away from my computer for a while and completely zapped me of energy. However it all went very well, I am very pleased to report.

Fortunately, it didn't stop me knitting for long and I have been having fun finishing up some projects that just needed a bit more love and attention. The first of these was a scarf made from the Hamilton Table Runner pattern.



Yes, I hear you - a pattern for a table runner? But when you think about it, there's not much difference between them, is there. They are both long rectangular objects and the size might only need a little bit of adjusting to get it to work well for a scarf instead. 

The real difference comes from the yarn being used. For a table runner you want the yarn to be fairly firm and crisp to hold its shape well and provide some insulation to the table. A matte finish is also preferable so the runner is quietly present without dominating the look of the room. So the ideal yarn would probably be a cotton or a cotton/linen mix such as the KnitPicks CotLin yarn I used for the original pattern.

Knit Picks yarns. L: Cotlin in Pomegranate, R: Galileo in Quartz.
But a scarf? Well almost the opposite! This needs to be soft and draping so it can flow easily around your neck without chafing. When I was purchasing the yarn for the original Hamilton Table Runner, I was also drawn to another KnitPicks yarn, Galileo, in a deep red colour called Quartz. This is a beautifully soft yarn with a lovely combination of merino wool and bamboo. 

I don't like using silk itself because I always feel so sorry for the silkworms but this yarn just feels, well, silky! It's buttery soft with a beautiful depth of colour - perfect for an evening shawl. (And no, I don't get any commission from KnitPicks - I just like their yarns!)

I started this about a year ago before consigning it to the knitting basket waiting to be finished. Well, I decided that it had sat and languished for long enough, so I picked it up again and happily knitted away until it was done.



In fact, I was actually enjoying the pattern so much that I only stopped when I ran out of yarn. Fortunately the finished scarf is not too long! Thank heavens I didn't buy extra yarn or I might have regretted it. 


Have you ever done that? Been so enjoying knitting a pattern that you continued on too long? I found I wanted to "just knit one more diamond shape" and was quite disappointed when the yarn supply failed on me. This is the Elongated Diamond Pattern from our new E-Book, Reversible Knitting Stitches, and is a lovely double-sided stitch. 

Well, now I can see I will need to knit another scarf. Hmmm, I could see this in a beautiful silver-grey colour....

If you'd like to see more details about the Hamilton Table Runner pattern, then please visit my attern store


Until next time,

Happy Knitting!





. 17/5/17

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...