20 July 2017

Daughter to the rescue

Yarns at The Yarn Dispensary, Faversham, photo by Tim Ravenscroft, Wyndlestraw Designs
I am currently listening to an audiobook by Elizabeth Peters in which the redoubtable lady Egyptologist Amelia Peabody Emerson frequently says "I am the most fortunate of women!"

Well, I suppose that could be my catch‐phrase too. In my last blogpost, I recounted the sorry tale of what happens when a full cup of airline tea soaks into a large amount of cotton‐yak yarn. The result, I am sure you can imagine, was not pleasant.

Under normal circumstances this could have induced a degree of panic – arriving at the start of a long visit with no knitting on hand... However, our first port of call on arriving in the UK was to our daughter, Anna, and she is blessed with a wide and varied yarn stash, filling not just a few boxes but a whole room!
Lune Grey Fiber Arts yarn - Altair, in Charcoal, in blogpost by Moira Ravenscroft, Wyndlestraw Designs
She listened to my tale of woe and supplied the two things I needed – a fresh cup of tea (I had, after all, spilled the last one!), and a pointer as to where I might find some suitable replacement yarn amongst all her baskets and boxes.

​I settled on a beautiful combination of greys and by the afternoon was happily swatching for a cowl.
The Yarn Dispensary Faversham, photo by Tim Ravenscroft, Wyndlestraw Designs
We then went down to a knitting store in Faversham, Kent to purchase some additional supplies. Neither of us had been to this shop before but it was an absolute treasure.

The store is called The Yarn Dispensary and is right in the middle of this beautiful old town. They were kind enough to allow my husband to take some photos in the store so you can see what a great selection of yarn they have. The building dates from the 13C and used to be an old pharmacy. Now instead of liver pills they dispense yarn therapy!​
Faversham House, photo by Tim Ravenscroft, Wyndlestraw Designs
The central square of the town is used for a thriving market under the famous Guildhall building, and there are many other wonderful old houses in the area such as the one above which is just around the corner.

The yarn I settled on was a beautiful merino mix from CoopKnits, called Socks Yeah DK and it is a dream to work with. In fact I loved it so much that when I returned to the USA, I ordered some more and am now happily knitting up a storm with this fabulously cozy yarn. I'll post some information about these latest projects next time.

And if you'd like to see some of the wonderful items Anna makes with her room‐full of yarn, then head over to her Ravelry store here.

Until next time – Happy Knitting!

Moira
Reversible Knitting Stitches by Moira Ravenscroft & Anna Ravenscroft
Last Blogpost: Tray tables, wet yarn and difficult decisions
Next Up: Teversham Cowl and Headwarmer

​​​Our book: Reversible Knitting Stitches
My Website: www.wyndlestrawdesigns.com

Many thanks again to Tim for his great photos. See more on his Flickr site
Keywords: Travel Notes,
Local Yarn Store, Faversham, Kent, UK, merino wool, wonderful daughters, Anna Ravenscroft, Anna Alway,

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...